I figured today was a good day to see if the Jawa was a runner. This wasa recent acquisition along with all the other bikes that can be seen in an earlier blog post. The Jawa was in pretty nice original condition considering its age. I worked on it a bit while working on a couple of other bikes. First I had to figure out the key. Then figure out the wiring. It wasn't much of a mess but it didn't have a battery connected and it turns out that a wire hiding behind the horn had to be connected to the battery to power the bike. Couldn't find a wiring diagram so I had to wing it. Then I had to clean up and gap the points. New plugs and I had spark. On to the carb. Pretty straight forward on that. Hooked up the portable tank and it fired up in 3 kicks. Adjusted cables and reassembled a few things. Tank has some rust in it but not to bad so I put a filter in the line and dumped gas in the tank. Fired it up again and took it out for about 2 miles. The right side points need some more attention as it was missing a bit on that side sometimes. Also figured out first gear is all the way up and you shift down to higher gears. Kinda like my Guzzi. Pretty darn smooth for an old 2-smoke.
Some beauty shots out behind the shop.
Kevin at Scrambler Cycle